- Visit Campus
- Cost & Aid
- Campus Life
We are South Dakota's Team®
Whether you're on the field or in the stands, you're a Coyote and you're part of South Dakota's Team®
With a long tradition of excellence and a place in the NCAA Division I, we have a lot to be proud of here at South Dakota.
The Coyotes are a big-time team and they need big-time competition. As members of the the Summit League and the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Coyotes play intense schedules featuring some of their long-time rivals and some of their newest D-I challengers.
|Men's Sports||Women's Sports|
- The University of South Dakota sponsored its first intercollegiate athletic team in 1889 — the same year the state of South Dakota entered the Union.
- Since 2001-02, The University of South Dakota ranks in the top percentage of all 1,200 NCAA institutions in the number of student-athletes earning NCAA Postgraduate Scholarships with 18.
- The Coyotes have captured two NCAA national team championships, more than 20 individual national titles and nearly 80 team and individual conference crowns.
- The Coyotes also excel in the classroom with USD student-athletes posting a 3.2 cumulative grade point average.
- The Coyotes stay warm, dry and virtually unbeatable in South Dakota's premier athletic facility — The DakotaDome.